Monday, February 2, 2009

How to start your very own blog (for free!)

I have never been known to keep what I ponder a secret. Since I believe that recycling paper is the most retarded, idiotic, detrimental action a human may inflict upon society, then I'm going to let you know how dimwitted, idealistic friggin' little hippies are doing more harm to this planet than good.

Much like I did on a page not dissimilar to this one last semester.

Few things bring me greater joy than sharing my opinion with others; although my greatest solace comes in knowing when those same individuals disagree with me. The excitement I boast when hearing the public actually agrees with me remains minimal -- as I am always right -- and simply expect the masses to understand this.

So I am blessed to have this newspaper as my personal forum -- my own little niche at NIC to force my opinion down unsuspecting readers' throats. Assuming they haphazardly finish reading the sometimes incoherent ramblings that make up my opinion, I am happy.

You, however, are not so lucky. You are left rebutting what you read aloud to only yourself.

It sucks, doesn't it?

But fret not, my opinionated young dumplings. Imagine a place where you could rant and rave, reflect on your life and all around it, share stories, photos, videos and experiences from all that you have to offer.

All in one place. In one website.

It's as simple as creating your own blog. And the undoubtedly best part is that you can start right now. For free. From any computer in the world.

There is no excuse not to begin your very own weblog, save for sheer laziness. I'm going to make this so simple for you that to not follow my advice is worse than recycling paper.

And you're not a hippy, are you?

WHERE TO START

There are many choices in hosting your blog, and the best all begin for free. Be sure to check out blogger.com and wordpress.com first.

Both offer pretty much the same tools. The only difference is whether you want .blogspot.com or .wordpress.com following the title of your website. (For a few bucks more, you can chop their tagline off the website altogether).

There are also blogging options through MySpace and Facebook, however, if you plan on being taken seriously in the blogosphere, I highly recommend avoiding these forums at all cost (and since I just gave you two free options, listen to me.)

WHAT TO WRITE

This is all on your shoulders. But I would definitely not oblige to you starting an anti-hippy site. But that's just my opinion. And remember, this blog is your opinion. If your heart so desires, you don't even have to write on your blog. Just share all your favorite photos. You can even upload videos.

The best part about using Blogger is you can have multiple blogs. I personally have four. You can have one for photos, one for a writing portfolio, the list is simply endless.

MAINTAIN IT

But don't forget why blogging started. (Aside from hippies trying to kill the newspaper industry with this little attraction called the "internet" to save paper).

Your blog is your own corner of the internet to say whatever your mind and heart desire. Whether it's bashing hippies or politicians, sharing family recipes and photos or even just making your diary available to the world, it's yours to have fun with. But never forget that once you get people reading it regularly, they expect you to update it accordingly.

No comments: